Fashion Friday's with Fashion Designer Jose Lopes

          Welcome to another segment of Fashion Friday, where I introduce to you minorities in the fashion industry that you may or may not have heard of. Today I have the pleasure of introducing international fashion designer, Jose Lopes located in Angola in the wonderful continent of Africa. Here is 21 questions with Jose, so that you can get to know more about him and what he does.
1. What do you do in the fashion industry? In what city and country?
I design men and women's clothing, from street fashion, evening wear, casual, classic, executive and uniforms. I do it all! I am located in the city of Luanda in the country Angola, located on the continent of Africa.

2. At what age did you become fascinated with fashion?
At the age of 38

3. Who is one of your biggest fashion influencers?
My mother and South African Designer David Tlae

4. What made you decide to become a fashion designer?
In 1999, I went to Zimbabwe with my family; my kids were in school, I had no job there, so I decided to enroll in fashion school and try something new. I was inspired by my mothers work as well as my sister and brothers.

5. How did you get your start?
After I enrolled in fashion school, I decided to open my own studio at a cottage of the house I lived in. I started with one tailor and one sewing machine and made garments for my friends.

6. How long have you been in the business?
Since 2004

7. How do you stay updated on the current trends?
I usually look on the internet. I get some inspirations from TV shows and the latest fashion magazines.

8. Have you been to fashion week? If so when and where? And how was your experience?
Yes, I participated in Mozambique Fashion Week in 2007, Zimbabwe Fashion Week in 2011 and 2013, and Swahili Fashion Week in Tanzania in 2011 and 2014. It was such a great experience as I was able to network with fashionable people like other international designers, models, TV show producers, and I experience new things backstage.  Interviewing for fashion magazines was a new experience that I really enjoyed.

9. How important is fashion week to you?
When I attend fashion week it feels like I'm in a competition and every designer does his/her utmost to showcase the best trends for that particular season. When I think about the audience and buyers, I know that I have to do my best to get new customers and keep progressing. It's a special occasion to network and make new connections in the fashion industry.

10. Have you ever designed for any celebrities? If, so who were they and did you have a favorite?
Yes, I have designed for some Angolan singers, actors, and basketball players. My favorite was a Nigerian woman named Mrs. Helen Tayo, she owns a fashion magazine in Europe and I created a design for her magazine launch party.

11. What is the one item that you can’t leave home without?
My wrist watch

12. What is your favorite accessory?
My necklace
 
13. Name the top three things you make sure to have at a fashion shoot?
My garments, I make sure to secure a model, and photographer
 
14. Who is your favorite fashion designer and why?
South African designer David Tlale, because he creates unique designs. The techniques he uses in designing is simply fantastic! I love the combination of fabrics, color, and drape.

15. What is your favorite fashion trend, and why?
I love traditional African attire because of its beautiful combination with western fabrics. It's wonderful to see African men and women groomed in such a way that matches their hair style and cut.

16. What is your favorite color?

Green

17. What is your dream job in the fashion industry?
There are two things that I look forward to; working with a famous international designer and learning and designing for a big company as one of the head designers.
 
18. What are your plans for the future and where do you see yourself taking your career?
I do expect to have a large fashion house in Angola and then I would like to establish myself more in Africa, and in France.

19. What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a fashion designer?
It is a great dream to have, but it takes a lot of time, creativity, perseverance, passion, patience, and some sleepless nights. Anyone who wants to be a fashion designer, should take it seriously, it is not easy. It's basically a competition where you must do your best to stand out to remain in business.

20. What sort of things do you do, to prepare for a photo shoot that you are the designer for?
A variety of accessories, models, lights, photographers, garments, assistants, food and beverages.

21. When in your career, did it feel like a surreal experience?
In November of 2015, when I was awarded the international recognition award in South Africa by Mr. Sonwabile Ndamase, who designed for the late Mr. Nelson Mandela.

If you are ever in Angola and would like to visit Jose's fashion house, it is located at 23 Sebastiao Desta Vez Street, Combatentes. You may also contact him on Facebook at Jose Rui Lopes and Instagram at Afrikanusbyruilopes.

 I hope you enjoyed this week's Fashion Friday segment, until next time!

Comments