Fashion Friday’s 21 questions with Photographer Melvin Duncan

        Welcome to another segment of Fashion Friday! Today I would like highlight fashion photographer Melvin Duncan. Melvin is from Trinidad and Tobago and came to the United states when he was twelve years old. He started in the fashion industry as a model and because of his love for fashion, in 2010 he decided to pick up a camera and express himself behind the lens. His work can be seen in magazine publications such as; Elements magazine and LePalme magazine, and his own publications; fashion magazine REVISED (subscribe here ) and glamour magazine FOXE (subscribe here ). Here are 21 questions with fashion photographer Melvin Duncan.
 
          1. What do you do in the fashion industry and in what city & state?
Fashion Photographer in Tampa Florida
 
2. What made you want to become a fashion photographer?
I was a Model in NJ/NY back in the early 2000's and always loved Fashion as a form of Art. I decided to pick up the camera  in 2010 which gave me my current status
 
3. Who is one of the biggest influencers in your career?
GOD and my family (Brother's 2 that are also photographers, and my Mom which is the artist)
 
4. How do you find the perfect location for a shoot?
Depends on the looks. The looks that the designer brings to the table plus the Model can paint a pretty awesome picture before finding the locations.
 
5. Did you go to school for photography or are you self taught?
Self Taught
  
6. How did you get your start?
Picking up the camera and started learning light from a good photographer buddy of mines Alex Tirado also local to Tampa.
 
7. What is your favorite brand camera to work with?
I have always loved Canon it was my first DSLR but now I am geared to Sony. And why? Sony because today's competitive market it have a wide range of features that are useful for the High Fashion look and feel you get from Major company ads and High end photographers, without having to break the bank to get a medium format camera to do the trick.
           8. How long have you been in the business?
 Since 2010
 
9. How do you stay updated?
By studying your competition and knowing your gear. You can do a lot just by being creative.
 
10.  Have you been to fashion week?
I have not, And actually I do not have any intention to do so, unless requested. 
 
11.  How important is fashion week to you?
Scale of 1 - 10 it will be a 1. I am not big on the crowds and the hoopla. Fashion Week is very political. It is all about who you know, and I am a simple person, not too big on all the glitz and glam that it is cracked up to be.
 




12.  Have you ever worked with any celebrities?
In my past Jay-Z, NEXT, Changing Faces, The Lost Boys. Did you have a favorite? Jay-Z
 
13.  What is the one item that you can’t leave home without?
My Wallet (LOL) I leave all my camera equipment at my studio.
 
14.  When looking for a model for a shoot, what are some things that you look for?
Facial feature is a MUST. Then bone structure including body contour. Last will be attitude, because If I can get the model talking then she will be in front of my camera in a matter of hours/days...LOL
  
15.  What type of things do you do to prepare for a photo shoot?
Secure Location, make sure my camera is prepped including memory card lock and loaded, lighting, Team members like MUA, Hair stylist, Designer, and possible assistant.
 
16.  Who is your favorite photographer and why?
I have 2 at this time, great people of mines. Ptah Quammie Artcrazyphotograhy, and Mike Ohrangutang.
 
17.  Do you create your own concept for a shoot? For the most part yes. I try to leave anyone else out of my vision unless my designer has an idea then we can run with it.
 
18.  What is your favorite color?
Red/Black/Purple - LOL
 
19.  What is your dream job in the fashion industry?
Creative Director
 

20.  Have you ever had a surreal moment in your career?
Meeting and teaming up with the NBA. I am currently working on a few projects and I am excited for what is to come.
 
21.  What advice do you have for someone who is interested in being a photographer in the fashion industry?
Do your research before getting started. This industry has HARD UPS and downs. You can make it or break it before you even get your foot out on the floor.

To see more of Melvin Duncan's work visit his website at www.melvinduncan.com and subscribe to his fashion magazine REVISED and glamour magazine FOXE . Thank you for reading this months Fashion Friday blog post, until next time!

Comments