Fashion Friday's with Fashion Sylist Janelle LaFond

Welcome to another segment of Fashion Fridays! For those of you who doesn't know what Fashion
Friday is, it is a blog post about minorities in the fashion industry; whether it be a fashion photographer, a wardrobe stylist, a designer, or a model. I started this segment because I noticed that minorities just doesn't get much love in the fashion world and I want to highlight people in the industry that should get the recognition that they deserve. Currently it is a monthly post, but as it grows who knows it could be a weekly post.

   Today I would like to highlight former photographer turned fashion stylist Janelle LaFond. She is Brooklyn born , but grew up in the US Virgin Islands. Janelle has been a fashion stylist since 2012, but she is no stranger to the fashion industry, since she was a fashion photographer starting in 2009 until 2012. Janelle has been featured in multiple publications such as; Elegant magazine, Astound magazine, Lavonne magazine, Dream Factory, and Obvious online magazine, just to name a few. Here are 21 questions, so that you can get to know Janelle LaFond.
 1. What do you do in the fashion industry? In what city and state? I currently work as a Wardrobe Stylist for photo shoots and a Fashion Editor for magazine editorials. I am based in Tampa Florida.

2. At what age did you become fascinated with fashion?
I can honestly say I've been 'obsessed' with fashion from a young age. I can recall playing with my Barbie dolls and paying more attention to what they wore than the actual physical act of playing with them lol.


3. Who is one of your biggest fashion influencers?
My fashion influencers span from Grace Jones to Cher to Betsey Johnson. Anyone who aims to break the norm and break some fashion rules.


4. What made you decide to become a fashion stylist?
I've always loved fashion and I knew some way or another I'd be apart of it. I worked as a local fashion/Commercial photographer for years and after having my first child, I wanted to slow down a bit by taking a behind the scenes approach to the industry. Boy was I wrong, wardrobe styling is anything but slow moving.

5. How did you get your start?
December of 2013 I decided my vacation from the industry was over and I immediately started contacting all the local photographers who were shooting great work and it really only took one photographer, giving me a chance to prove myself and I was hooked! I wasn't well received at first because those that knew me couldn't shake my former photographer title and those that didn't know me were super "clicky." I pushed through regardless of all the obstacles (no's) I faced everyday.


6. How long have you been in the business?
Professionally speaking I've been styling for 3 years. However, I always been known to style my shoots as a photographer lol.


7. How do you stay updated on the current trends?
I can't say that I actually stay updated on trends lol! I've noticed a pattern with fashion trends and encourage others to make a path for their own trends. If I had to shed light on a source I would say online Indie magazines have the best tips on trends because their eyes and ears are on the streets.

 8. Have you been to fashion week? If so when and where? And how was your experience?
I haven't had the privilege of going to Fashion week yet ,but it is one my dreams!! I truly hope to make that come true this year.


9. How important is fashion week to you?
Fashion is super important to me! It's the high point of a new designers career. It's the place where stylists have a first hand view of new collections which can be one step short of actually touching the garments. As a stylist you witness the way the pieces move and flow with each models strut down the cat walk. Its almost like looking at a diamond under pristine light and watching it shine. Fashion week showcases fashion like art and I want to be apart of that art.


10. Have you ever styled for any celebrities? If, so who were they and did you have a favorite?
I haven't had the pleasure of styling a celebrity, but I know that's not too far from happening. I can say that I have my dream celebs who I'd love to style one being actress Lupita Nyong'o.


11. What is the one item that you can’t leave home without?
I am a professed "bag lover" I simply can not leave the house without one of my many handbags! I'm currently obsessed with Betsey Johnson's latest bags.



12. What is your favorite accessory?
My Fav accessory right now is a throwback to the 90's. I love my black woven choker necklace with charms on it I've been wearing it so much its beyond overkill.


13. Name the top three things in your styling kit that are must haves.
As of late I've been slowly downsizing my kit to be more compact, but there are 3 major things I must bring with me on every shoot. 1. clips to fit clothing to models, 2. double-sided tape (no wardrobe malfunctions here), and  3. Needle and thread, because you never know when you may need to stitch a seam.



14. Who is your favorite fashion designer and why?
My new Fav designer hails from London originating from Delhi India, his name is Ashish Gupta. His London Fashion Week spring 2016 show amazed me!


15. What is your favorite fashion trend, and why?
If I had to pick a favorite trend I would choose Denim. Its flatters all and transcends seasons also allowing it to be dressed up or down. Denim Forever!


16. What is your favorite color?
My favorite color is green.. any green.


17. What is your dream job in the fashion industry?
I am working very hard to ultimately have the title "Creative Director." I just want to tell everyone else what to do haha! I love having a vision and seeing it come to life from start to finish super rewarding.


18. What are your plans for the future and where do you see yourself taking your career?
For now I put my future in God's hands because only he knows what will happen. I plan only to work steadily and grow with each styling job I complete. Growth is key.

 
19. What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a fashion stylist?
Starting this journey I wished I knew all of the "it people" ,so that I could bypass all of the trial and error phases of starting a new career ,but looking back I'm grateful for all I've been through to get where I currently am in my career. My advice is to stop looking at the end result and enjoy the journey to get there. Also, do not give up when times seem hard because, if you could see your future self he/she is probably cheering you on.


20. What sort of things do you do, to prepare for a photo shoot that you are the stylist for?
When I get the call to style a photoshoot, I usually create a mood board via Pinterest (gods gift to stylists) and I do a lot of online window shopping just to see what's out there. I also conduct a ton of research, so I'm well versed in what concept/idea the team is trying to get across.


 
21. Was there a styling job that felt like a surreal experience?
Last year I got my first cover of a magazine which was surreal in itself since it was the anniversary of my first submission to the same magazine. The photo shoot was a quick Saturday afternoon type of shoot where everyone showed up and did their jobs to a T! I remember Make up Artist Corinne Potter finishing the first make up look and in my heart I knew this shoot was going to be something special. The icing on the cake was seeing Photographer Brian James' images popping up on the computer's monitor and the whole team had no words and only oooo's and aaaaa's! The best day ever turned into best shoot ever! 





To view more of Janelle's work visit her website at www.jmistyling.wix.com/jmistyling . You may also like her Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/jmistyling . Thanks for tuning in this week for another segment of Fashion Friday's, until next time!

Comments