Fashion Friday's with Make-up artist Aja Lauren

Welcome to another Fashion Friday! Today I had the pleasure of interviewing makeup artist Aja Lauren, from Tampa Florida. Aja has beat many of faces, from celebrities to prom queens. Here are a series of questions that I asked Aja, so that you can get to know a little about her and what she does.



1. What do you do in the fashion industry? In what city or state?
I am a freelance makeup artist and I assist with fashion photo shoots for custom pieces, as well as local fashion shows. I currently live in the Tampa Bay Area.

2. At what age did you become fascinated with fashion?
As long as I can remember I have always been obsessed with fashion and standing out in my own way. I am a big believer in individuality, no matter how much a garment costs.

3. Who is one of your biggest fashion influencers?
Christian Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, and Versace. I don’t really wear high fashion, but I’ve always admired these designers the most.

4. What made you decide to become a makeup artist?
I have always been into makeup all throughout high school. I was in church one Sunday with my best friend and I said to her after service that I wanted to do makeup on the side to subside my income. She was really encouraging and said I should do it. The next couple of days I bought a make-up kit online and started practicing on my friends.

5. How did you get your start?
 I started networking with local businesses in the area (fashion designers, local music artists and hairstylists). Shortly after I ordered business cards, (Thank God for vistaprint LOL) and I was asked to do a local fashion show called the Cinematic Situation and from that event I made a lot of connections with the right people to get my name and work out.

6. How long have you been in the business?
This January will make 4 years that I have been doing makeup professionally.

7. How do you stay updated?
I’m constantly going through pictures of my own work and asking myself “how can I make this better”. I constantly watch tutorials online or check the latest magazines for new makeup trends. I tend to use different steps to achieve the same look which I consider to be a signature of sorts. You can never get tired of learning when you have a passion for something.

8. Have you been to fashion week? If so when and where? And how was your experience?
I’ve never been to fashion week. I plan on participating in fashion week in 2016 for NY and LA with my fellow MUA (makeup artist) friend DeeDee.

 9. How important is fashion week to you?
Fashion week has always been very important to me. It wasn’t until recently that I was in the financial position to indulge and participate so I’m incredibly excited.
 
10. Have you ever worked for any celebrities? If, so who were they and did you have a favorite?
 I’ve worked with Cyn Santana from the reality TV show LHHNY (Love & Hip Hop New York), Althea Heart and Benzino from reality TV show LHHATL (Love & Hip Hop Atlanta), Dana Cody from reality TV show Boss Nails Oxygen, and gentlemen clubs; Phuck Fame and most recently Mizhani. I don’t really have a favorite, they were all really down to earth and easy to work with which made my job easier because I admit I was very nervous.
11. What is the one item that you can’t leave home without?
 My cell phone, we’re attached like sleeves.

12. What is your favorite accessory?
Earrings

13. Name the top three things you make sure to bring to a photo shoot?
 Brow pencil, setting powder, and mascara

14. Who is your favorite fashion designer and why?
 My all-time favorite is Versace; they have this exotic sexy signature in all of their garments that draws me to their brand

15. What is your favorite fashion trend, and why?
My favorite fashion trend is blazers, even though I don’t usually wear it. I like how you can pair a blazer with pretty much anything and you can be ready for any occasion.

16. What is your favorite color?
Pink and red

17. What is your dream job in the fashion industry?

My dream job would be the head makeup artist for any of the designers I named earlier; I would die. Working beside any of them would be an honor.

18. Have you ever had a surreal moment in your career?
The most surreal moment in my career thus far is when a stranger wrote me and told me that they were a huge fan and that I inspire them with my work. I had no idea that I affected people in that way.

19. What sort of things do you do, to prepare for a photo shoot that you are the stylist for? I’ve never organized my own shoot. I have one coming up I’ll asking be reaching out to stylist that I know for assistance because when it comes to that I am scatter brained.

20. What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a makeup artist?
The greatest advice I would give would be to be determined, be your own worst critic, and to be open minded to evolving at all times, while being thick-skinned. People can be very opinionated and harsh and there were many times that I just wanted to quit or not answer my phone, but I kept going towards my goals. Determination and persistence is key.

If you're in the Tampa Bay Area and you're looking for a makeup artist look for Aja. You can follow Aja Lauren on instagram @lusciouslana04 to see more of her work.

I hope you enjoyed today's feature stay tuned next month, I will be featuring Dominican Fashion stylist  Sherly Tavares.
 

Comments