The Art of Mixing Prints!



One of my favorite looks is mixing prints! I love having fun with fashion and trying different looks that not everyone else would think of trying. Mixing prints is a good way to show your personal style and experiment with colors, fabrics, and textures. Some of you may be a little fearful about mixing prints or you're not sure how to wear the look, so I put together a few tips to get you started.
 
In this first look I paired this striped and lace tank from the Limited with leopard print flats. I personally feel like leopard is a neutral, but that's just me lol. This look isn't very in your face, but it is still unexpected. I added this yellow blazer that I purchased from Eloquii to give it a pop of color. The tank alone is a mixture of prints, since it has lace and stripes together.

Stripe tank: The Limited, Blazer Eloquii, purse: JCPenney, pants: Ann Taylor Loft here, shoes; Victoria Secret online



 
 
For those of you who are still a little skeptical or you don't want to stand out too much, you can pair a solid color printed top with a printed skirt or shoes. Below I am wearing a black and white print blouse, a solid color print tank over it to give it a more interesting look, and I am wearing black and white print heels. In this look I am wearing three different prints, but the black print tank is a solid color, so it is not as obvious. I'm mixing different prints and textures. 

Blouse: The Limited here, black tank: Nordstrom Rack, skirt: The Limited, clutch: The Limited, shoes: Nordstrom here

This is another example of wearing two different prints and textures, but keeping it subtle by pairing it with a solid print, like the lace top that I am wearing over the polka dot chambray blouse.
Chambray top: Ann Taylor Loft, navy lace top: Ann Taylor Loft here, purse: Rebecca Minkoff, shoes: Vince Camuto, and jeans: The Limited
 
You want to try and keep the prints in similar color families, so that it blends well together. In this look I am wearing a orange and white chevron jacket with a orange and white giraffe print dress that I am wearing as a top. These are very different and in your face prints, but since they are both in the same color family it works. 
Jacket: Thirfted, dress: Ann Taylor Loft, skit: The Limited, shoes: Guess, purse: XOXO
 
In this look I am wearing two different prints. The top and the skirt were not bought together and doesn't "go together" but it works because the prints are very similar and it is in the same color family. I bought the top and the skirt from two different places and it looks like it belongs together. I didn't even have the top in mind when I purchased the skirt, until I was ready to wear the skirt. This is one of my favorite looks!
 Top: Marshalls, Skirt: Target, shoes: TJMaxx
 
I hope this post inspires you to step out of the box and have some fun with mixing prints. Tell me what you think by leaving your comments below. Thanks for stopping by!
 

Comments